Thursday, November 10, 2011

Candied hot peppers

I did not believe my eyes when I saw recipe with such name on the net. Candied hot peppers? Sounded strange even for me, the lover of hot peppers in every possible variations. Than I got curious about the different ingredients which could be put into the jar. I wanted to achieve a little bomb of tastes - sour, sweet and hot. Of course, it is not the best time to find good hot peppers at the farmer's market - it's already cold, the season of good, really hot peppers is well behind, but decision was taken. 



That is how I came to the source which offered the most intriguing mixture of ingredients. I made few changes and that is what I put into the pan:
Ingredients:
  • 200 g hot peppers
  • 2 cups of sugar
  • 1 cup of hot water
  • 1/4 cup of white vinegar (I used rice vinegar)
  • 4 thin slices of fresh ginger
  • 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
  • 1 onion, sliced
Preparation:
Put 1 cup of sugar in a saucepan and add the water. Bring to boil over medium heat stirring constantly. After the sugar has dissolved, add the vinegar and the spices. Let it simmer for 1o minutes and add the peppers and the onion slices. Cook for 4- 5 minutes and remove the peppers and the onion slices. Transfer the pepper slices to a clean, dry jar. Add the second cup of sugar to the pan and simmer until mixture gets syrupy. Let it cool for some minutes and pour the syrup onto the peppers.  Keep in refrigerator. The candied peppers need to mellow at least 10 days before being eaten. During this time all the flavours will blend and the bunch of tastes will develop. The candied peppers can be put on a sandwich, a piece of cake or a biscuit, but of course it could be spooned right from the jar as a source of power.


No comments:

Post a Comment